turn he key and ... click!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: turn he key and ... click!
From: HMENTZEN@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 19:33:39 EST
Let's try this again. My 79 Spit has developed a starting problem. When I
would turn the key all I would get is a clicking sound. The first few times I
would roll the car and jump start it. It has gotten more frequent. Last night
I checked all the connections to the battery and the cable to the starter. It
still clicked. I took the Die Hard back to Sears and had it tested. The
readings were low dispite having been charged so I got a pro rated battery . I
installed the battery and still got the Click.
I just finished pulling the starter and noticed that the gear(pinion gear on
the shaft going into the motor?) had most of the first 1/4 inch seared off.
I've just ordered a rebuilt starter ( 3 year warranty) from NAPA. Is there
anything I should be looking for before installing the rebuilt starter?  Do
you think I've stumbled upon the solution to the starting problem? If not,
where should I look next? TIA
Hans Mentzen
79 Spit (daily driver in New England)