Re: TR3A side curtains -- in the groove?

To: drew@pixar.com
Subject: Re: TR3A side curtains -- in the groove?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 13:12:11 -0500 ()
Cc: Sumner Weisman <sweisman@gis.net>, Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Thu, 7 Jan 1999 drew@pixar.com wrote:

> ...One of the things I've been wondering about is that if the front edge
> of the curtain is supposed to fit in the groove in the windshield
> stantions?

I confess I've always wondered about that myself. Back when I was actually
driving my TR3A (so long ago -- circa 1972 -- that I actually was feeding
it leaded Sunoco 260 and Castrol Racing Oil made from still-decomposing
dinosaurs), that is precisely how my side curtains worked. However, my
curtains were the basic aftermarket aluminum (J.C. Whitney?) versions with
an (obviously) uncovered edge that seemed to be made for that groove in
the w/s stanchions. It made for a very nice, solid fit -- especially
nice for cooler weather with top down but side curtains in place.

With the "factory" curtains and all that vinyl covering, I don't offhand
know if one can get such a precise fit of that leading edge of the
curtain. I didn't even have a pair of "factory" curtains until well after
the car went into long-term hibernation (24 years now and still counting)!

--Andy