Wiper motor wiring

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Wiper motor wiring
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 07:22:36 -0800
Can anyone tell me what the correct wiring for the operation for the wiper
motor is.  Currently I have a wiring dia for the 72 spit, but it doesn't
explain the switch operation, just where the wires terminate.  (If you want
a more technical description of what I have done E-mail me direct)  This is
using a custom, two rocker switch setup, one for on-off, and the other for
fast slow, so the old original switch doesn't apply.  I have the round
body, four wire, wiper motor common to all late model Triumphs (and
probably most other British cars as well)  After wiring what I thought was
the correct way I had to use the wipers this morning and could not get them
to shut off.  I know that one wire (the colors escape me for at the moment)
is the main power (+ 12v reading) and that you apply or switch this to
either the fast, or slow wires for operation.  This is where it gets fuzzy.
 To park the wipers one unswitches the power lead from the fast or slow
wire(s), and then you switch or connect (either /or?) the fast or slow lead
to ground to complete the cycle and finish the cycle.  I have connected the
fast lead thinking that it would park faster, but maybe it should have been
the slow, or possibly both??  I don't know for sure, but all I know is that
when I went to use the wipers this morning due to heavy fog they wouldn't
park or stop until I shut off the key and they stopped in the park
position.  Maybe the switch was stuck on (I'll have to check later, but
thought I would see if I was missing something, or wired it up wrong.

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)