Re: Has anyone ever completely disassembled a distributor? (TR6)

To: rdowty@iso.net
Subject: Re: Has anyone ever completely disassembled a distributor? (TR6)
From: "Robert M. Lang" <LANG@ISIS.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 16:57:47 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hello.

Why, umm, yes I have done this.

First step - carefully remove the tach drive gear. I hear-tell that they
are hard to come by, but I see the part listed in the Moss book. Try not to
wreck this piece.

There's a screw under where the rotor sits. Loosen screw all the way.
Remove the "advance plate" and then withdraw the shaft from the bottom of
the distributor housing.

If that fails, in other words you removed the screw but the plate does not
come off, then try method 2:

Drive the pin that secures the drive dog to the bottom of the shaft.
Careful! I think the pin is tapered. Mark parts for orientation, the drive
dog is not symetrical. Remove the distributor drive dog and gear thingie.
Withdraw shaft from the top of the distributor housing.

Oh, at some point you may need to remove the "advance/retard" plate that
the vacuum thingies attach to, but I'm pretty sure it does not interfere
with the center part of the distributor shaft.

You are probably having problems getting the top part off because the
advance thingie is stuck on the shaft. I've had a few of these guys sieze
up pretty hard because I forget the regular maintenance step of putting a
drop or two of oil onto the screw... In one case, I had to apply heat to
the top of the shaft to get it apart.

regards & good luck,
rml
TR6's
Bob Lang                | Voice: 617-253-7438      | This space
Consultant              | FAX:   617-258-9535      | for rent
MIT Information Systems | email: lang@isis.mit.edu |