Re: Surry Tops

To: Bob Jones <Jones_M2@popmail.firn.edu>
Subject: Re: Surry Tops
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 09:30:21 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, Bob Jones wrote:

> I'm almost ready to put my surry top on the six but have ran into a
> problem.  After installing the glass in the backlight assembly, I
> thought the next step would be easy.  But when I tried to install the
> chrome plastic molding in the slot in the rubber surround, it just won't
> stay in and where it does in a curve it won't lay flat.  The angles in
> the rear are so much more extreme than in the front windshield where
> this procedure is very easy.  As many TRs, especially in the UK have
> these tops, there must be a secret way to properly install this thing.
> I have thought of sticking it in hot water, using a hair drier, etc.
> Anyone know what will work?

OK, here's what should work... you might get a better explanation from
someone who HAS done this (I haven't), but:

Clean the rubber with warm soapy water all around.

Feed a piece of twine, string, rope (butchers twine I think would be best)
into the rubber, all the way around.  Leave about 6" overlap sticking out
(you want to pull it out afterward)

PS set the string so that the ends are where you want the ends of the
chrome stuff

Push the chrome (plastic) into the rubber.  Then, pull the string out
around it.  The object here is to make the rubber deform the "wrong way"
and thus grab the chrome (and pull it in, rather than pop it out)

This method DOES work (tho maybe not the way I describe....).  There is
also an iron-like tool that is supposed to do somewhat of a similar job
but I've never seen one nor heard of its use; besides, string's cheap.

good luck,
-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm