Re: TR6 Electronic ignition?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 Electronic ignition?
From: Ross J Fox <rossfox+@pitt.edu>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 16:49:18 -0500 (EST)

 First, thanks to all who responded regarding my question on experiences
 with under-carpet insulation.

 Now I was wondering about converting my points type ignition to a Crane
electronic ignition on my 75 TR6.  I currently use a lucas sport coil with
the ballast wire bypassed.  In general, the car runs well, but occassional
misfires, and constantly adjusting the timing is frustrating.  Have you
all found an electronic conversion to help with this?

 Also, Which is the proper Crane replacement?  They apparently make two
models to fit the TR6 -- XR700 and XR3000.  The XR700 is apparently
only meant for use WITH a ballasted ignition.  Is this true?  Will I
need to return to a smaller coil? (This is not something I want to
do.)  The XR3000 is described as being used with the ballast wire
bypassed, and a larger coil.  It  apparently can automatically adjust the
dwell with RPM.  Sounds like a good idea, but is it necessary or
benficial for street use. If so, is the lucas sport coil sufficient?

In other words, which is the correct Crane conversion for use with a
non-ballasted ignition, using the lucas sport coil, for street use.

 Thanks in advance for your help.

 Ross
 75 TR6