Cause for alarm: clutch squeal?

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Cause for alarm: clutch squeal?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 12:54:45 -0800 (PST)
Yesterday I drove the TR4 into town (14 miles), and everything was going
fine... until there was a cop-car blocking the highway (geez, didn't think
I was going THAT fast)

Turns out there was a tree across the road and I had to take a detour.  A
bumpy, windy, road-thru-the-woods detour.  It was lots of fun but when I
was finished, the clutch made an awful noise when I put the car in second
gear (to approach Sooke's only stop light).  Only happened once, but
scared the bejesus out of me.

Today the car seems fine.  I didn't go driving because of this (sorry
Mark), instead I crawled underneath and made sure nothing was flapping
around.  Took the opportunity to tighten up the muffler clamps.  Maybe
Santa will bring me a Falcon Stainless Exhaust next year...

There was no noise as I backed the car down the driveway and drove it back
up (sunny day today, wash & wax are in order)

Is there anything I can check to make sure the clutch is OK, short of
removing it and examining?  I think I'll have to drive the TR4 on Monday
to school (80 mile round trip), so I don't want to begin on a huge project
just yet- but then, I don't want it to strand me in town... tow trucks are
expensive!

thanks in advance,
-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm