Re: Need Touchup Valasquez Cream

Subject: Re: Need Touchup Valasquez Cream
From: Glenn Merrell <gmerrel@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 12:31:22 -0700
Hello Tony,

        I once thought that car paint matching was rocket science.  Actually,
it is
automotive finish science.
        I needed some Mimosa paint for my Stag so I could detail the engine
compartment.  After several posts to the Stag List, I found that most auto paint
manufacturers had the mix codes for my stock Triumph paint.  Then I went to
Martin Senour's web site after a YAHOO search, found that some body shops have
hand held devices (The Color Dominator) that they place on your car, squeeze the
trigger, and the paint mix codes can be printed out on their computer.  It is
the paint code for the color that the computer detects, and is a guaranteed
match.
        Next step was off to NAPA.  I purposely told them "Triumph", and paint
code
number,  No model, No year, No other info, but ready to supply all other info,
even a paint chip if needed.  They asked "How much?", I replied, "one quart",
the manager replied, "I'll mix it tomorrow noon."  I asked, "You mix it here?",
he said "Yep".  Pint/Quart were almost the same cost, as they had a minimum
charge to mix, $25, and a quart was $35.  Next day I went to pick up the paint.
Also bought a gallon of the correct thinner/Reducer ($15.00) so I could spray it
in cold weather.  Total cost, $50.00, an exact color match.  Now I have the
codes necessary from his mix to get more to paint the undercarriage.   If I had
a custom color, they would have directed me to a body shop with a Color
Dominator to get the exact match.  A body shop that has one will charge anywhere
from free to $50 to give you the color properties and print out the mix codes
for a particular brand of paint.  If you are lucky, your local car paint
supplier, like NAPA, will have one if it is a larger store.  You can get more
info from Martin Senour's web site at
http://www.martinsenour-autopaint.com/cgi-bin/martinsenour/findit.cgi

Also look at the VTR WEB Site for Triumph Paint Code numbers and paint chip
samples at
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/paint-charts/index.html

Regards,
Glenn  Merrell
Triumph Stag Register USA VP
*Member of:
*VTR, RMTC, TSC USA, TSR, SOC
*
*"Keep Your Stag Cool, Install a NEW Composite Cowl Today"
*See it at the site below:
*http://pw1.netcom.com/~gmerrel/stagcowl001.html
*
*REGISTER YOUR STAG on the STAG DATABASE (courtesy of Dave Sims):
*http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/square/gcj72/index.shtml
*
*Support your Local and National Triumph Clubs
*
*Vintage Triumph Register membership inquiry's:
*Andrew Mace, President
*http://www.vtr.org/brochure/membership-form.html
*
*Triumph Stag Club, USA membership inquiry's to:
*Bruce Krobusek, President
*Mike Coffey, Chairman; VTR Stag Vehicle Consultant
*mailto:brucekro@compuserve.com
*
*Triumph Stag Register UK membership inquiry's to:
*Mike Wattam, Chairman
*mailto:101714.1343@compuserve.com