RE: Wire Wheel question.229.205.in-addr.arpa>

To: "Stinocher, Bryan D." <bdstinocher@sewsus.com>, "'Jack W Drews'" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Wire Wheel question.229.205.in-addr.arpa>
From: Cliff Hansen <chansen@anr.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 17:51:48 -0500
The spline on the extension doesn't wear on the 1/2" or so closest
to the brake drum or hub.  So if you stick the extension into the
wheel from the outside you are probably mating a section of good
spline to the wheel, which should show less play than when
mounted properly.

If the splines are worn and look like a saw's teeth, they need replacing.
I have been told also that wheels and extensions should be replaced
together, since any play between the two will cause accelerated wear
on both parts.

At 11:40 AM 12/17/98 -0600, Stinocher, Bryan D. wrote:

>I'll add one other twist to Jack's question. I got some wire wheels from Dan
>Master's that have a little play in them. I noticed that if I put the hubs
>in the opposite way (from the front instead of the rear of the wheel) so
>that the area not worn by the center of the wheel comes into play, that
>there is no movement whatsoever. So, what is to stop me from buying 4 new
>hubs and using them with the current wheels, instead of both hubs and
>wheels? Now I know that the wheel companies say don't do that, but I'm a
>skeptic. Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't? Is it more dangerous?
>
>I'm just curious. Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks.
>Bryan Stinocher
>bdstinocher@sewsus.com
>502-782-7397 xt.2284