TR-3A - Stiff steering fixes?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR-3A - Stiff steering fixes?
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 09:19:58 -0800
   It happened again!  I got a ride in another TR-3 and found that it
steered much easier than mine.  Can anyone help me plan an attack on this
problem?  I have a new set of tie rod ends, idler arm and silent blocs
which will be put in soon and someone volunteered to see if the frame was
straight.
   There is *no* steering resistance when the front is up on stands and it
drives comfortably at road speeds, but at low speed and when stopped it is
a real truck.  Tires are 165 mm Michelon Radials.
   My sense is that we need to find out where the friction is, but I don't
know how to approach that question systematically.  Could be steering
wheel, cam and lever (adjustment?), steering linkages, ball joint,
trunnion, or frame twisting interference that loads any one of these,
   Thanks.
John Cowan
Visit - In Their Own Words Website - an on-line non-commercial publishing
experiment, plus movie reviews, articles and Left/Progressive links at:
                           http://home.earthlink.net/~jfcowan