RE: Signal Red and badging for '71 Spitfire

To: "Colhard, Chuck" <ColhardC@cadmus.com>
Subject: RE: Signal Red and badging for '71 Spitfire
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 11:19:41 -0500 ()
Cc: "'TRIUMPH MAIL'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Colhard, Chuck wrote:

> ...I just acquired "Nigel" a 71 Spit...
> Do you know what is proper badging for the hood of this model
> ("Nigel" currently has none).?

See <http://www.web2000.com/emblems/>. The "Spitfire IV" parallelogram
badge is center right in the image. That is the hood emblem, approx. 5
1/2" wide and just shy of 1" high. Note that the rear quarter badges are
very similar, but they are rectangular.

> Car is excellent mechanically - prior owner painted it himself and it's not
> great (red). Car was originally code 32 Signal Red. Is there a way I can see
> a good color sample of "Signal Red" before I decide color for repaint? In my
> mind, car would look great with a red like a mid-70's Corvette red.

See <http://www.cris.com/%7Ejamiep/pictures.html> -- the first picture is
a Signal Red Mk.2 Spitfire. The picture is a bit dark in my browser, but
you should get the general idea. Also see
<http://www.vtr.org/maintain/paint-charts/acme2.jpg> and
<http://www..vtr.org/maintain/paint-charts/standard.jpg>. Again, these are
a bit dark, but they'll give you an idea of the color.

> Body is good (no rust). Has a couple of dings, biggest thing is doors are
> tough to close tight - may need work on the hinges. Can any decent
> body/paint shop handle this, or should I go to someone with "Spit"
> experience? . . .not trying to create a show car, just would like to look
> sharp.

Any "decent" body shop should be able to paint your car, yes. As for the
doors, there is a good bit of adjustment in both the hinges and the door
latch striker. Often the hinge pins wear and make the door sag. These
(607823) are replaceable at around $12.00 each, as are the hinges (607824)
at around $32.00 each. You might be able to find "generic" pins to fit the
hinges at a local auto parts store, though.

Hope this all helps!

--Andy