Painting a frame

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Painting a frame
From: "maineac" <maineac@gateway.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 17:55:22 -0400
In the current issue of "Classic Auto Restorer" someone asked about what to
use to paint and protect the frame of his beloved Lincoln Continental Town
Coupe (do they call it a Continental because it's only slightly smaller
than Asia?).  The "mechanic on duty" recommends the removal of all rust as
any rust left on the frame will spread and take over areas that were
cleaned, and after time, the owner will be back where it all began -- with
a rusty frame again.  Once the frame is clean and all of the rust is gone,
the recommendation was to use a rust-inhibiting, self-etching primer (Du
Pont's Variprime or PPG's 1791 primer), followed by a coat of epoxy primer
and finished with a good quality catalyzed enamel like Du Pont's Imron.
I'm passing this on because of the recent thread about this subject.

It's also interesting to note that there are s-t-r-o-n-g feelings among the
"'Murican Iron" owners about just what is a "Classic".  A couple of months
ago, this magazine featured a Datsun 240Z on the cover -- well, there's a
guy who's cancelling his subscription over this, and another theratening to
do so if the magazine dares to feature another car from Japan!  And I
thought we got worked up about Miatas!  I have seen articles and pictures
of LBCs in this magazine, and they haven't drawn any fire yet, but it's
probably only a matter of time.

Tom Walling