Re: FW: GT6 rocker cover fasteners

To: michael_bayrock@bctransit.com
Subject: Re: FW: GT6 rocker cover fasteners
From: Windoseat@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 22:05:07 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, jonmac@ndirect.co.uk
Hi,
Been watching the conversation regarding the GT6 MkII rocker cover fasteners.
I purchased a ribbed aluminum rocker cover for a TR6 to use on my GT6+ and I
was concerned about bonnet clearance, especially since the carton the cover
came in said not for GT6. I installed it, used the special cap nuts provided
with the cover and before dropping the bonnet in place I put a piece of clay
on the valve cover and slowly lowered the bonnet. Then I latched it. After
opening it again I found a small indentation in the clay but at least 3/4"
clearance. I don't know if some DPO adjusted the bonnet height but it doesn't
appear that it's been adjusted. Maybe the Triumph engineers were being overly
cautious??? The ribbed valve cover is at least 3/8" thicker than the sheet
metal cover but I've had no clearance problems. I light of this I would think
a nut would work just as well as the bolt. Anyone else with more
information???

Maybe John Macartney can shed some light on this.

Greg Wolf
1970 GT6+ "Ian"
Ann Arbor, Michigan