OD Speedo's, 4.11 axle identification

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: OD Speedo's, 4.11 axle identification
From: HDRIDER570@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 11:26:02 EDT
Ken Nuelle asked if there was an easy way to identify a 4.11 rear axle.  It is
my understanding that the 3.7 axle serial numbers start with a "B" where as
the 4.11 axle serial number start with a "C".

I had a 62 TR4 that I got from the original owner.  It had OD and a 3.7 rear
axle.  The speedo is marked 1184.  It was ordered with Michelin X Radial
tires.  The owner ordered the car the way he wanted it and waited for the car
to be shipped to the US rather than buying it off the lot so I think that all
of the equipment was placed at the factory rather than at the dealership.  The
car was completly stock as delivered when I got it with the exception of the
tires.  I had the original bill of sale and it showed all of these items.  The
Commision number is CT 13230 O L.  (If the current owner sees this please drop
me a note).

The Triumph policy was that you could not order the 4.1 axle without the OD
trans but you could order the OD trans by itself.  If you read the magazine
articals that where published when the car was introduced I think that you
will find that all the cars supplied by Triumph for review were OD with 3.7
axles though one of the cars had the 83 mm bore engine.

My TR4 manual shows the following data for engine speeds per 10 mph

3.7 axle

Dunlop textile tyres
OD Top 412 rpm
Top 501

Michelin X tyres
OD Top 409 rpm
Top 498

4.1 axle

Dunlop textile tyres
OD Top 455 rpm
Top 556

Michelin X tyres
OD Top 452 rpm
Top 552

I looked at CT 4862 L which acording to the BMIHT Certificate was ordered with
5.90 x 15 Whitewall tyres and it has a 1184 speedo though I can not say if the
speedo is the original.  It is a domed type.

I looked at two TR6 speedos and they are marked 1120

I also looked at 9 TR3 / 4 speedos, some domed and some flat glass and there
are

John "way too many parts in my shed" Hamer