TR4 red light syndrome

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR4 red light syndrome
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 17:40:48 -0700 (PDT)
Argh!  It's hot and I'm fed up with Lucas (and Delco)

I have a GM 3-wire alternator in my TR4.  It won't charge.

I have checked the circuitry according to Dan Masters' article on the VTR
web site.  The light does not dim when the engine revs (not brushes).  I
am getting 12V to the battery feed.  The light seems to function (goes on
when I ground the lead)

"It worked before..." ...I removed the dash.  I think everything's hooked
up properly.  Any ideas?

I also frustrated myself with the horn circuit; attempting to shoehorn a
Flamm replacement for my Clear Hooters... just as a temp. fix so that the
car goes "beep" when I press the horn button.  No luck.  Couldn't even get
my relay to click.  (I got the horn to sound but I was beside it-- time to
quit)  I think I will run new wires instead of using the ones in the
wiring harness.  Resistance checks showed me all wires were grounded (!)
so I think I'll retire them.

-Malcolm