Re: triumphs@autox.team.net digest #1268 Fri Aug 28 02:35:02 MDT 1998

To: spence@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Subject: Re: triumphs@autox.team.net digest #1268 Fri Aug 28 02:35:02 MDT 1998
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 17:50:28 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< Ken Neulle wrote

 I could be wrong on this but I do know the addition of OD doesn't impact
 the
 speedo.

 Regards
 Ken Nuelle
 58 TR3A
 62 TR3B
 64 TR4
 all with OD and standard, pretty dog gone accurate, speedo's

 Sorry your wrong here
 And you're right too
 Actually there were 8 speedos fitted to the 4 and 4A
 Four if you discount the kilometer ones. In a previous posting I
 detailed part no's etc
  OD fitment merely effects the rpm of the out put shaft vs engine speed.
 Rear end ratio and tyre fitment both affected speedo calibration
 However it was standard practice to fit the 4.1-1 diff to OD cars giving
 a "close ratio 6 speed "  of sorts.
 One problem we all face is that at the age these cars are, and given the
 propensity of owner's (current and previous) to monkey with them and
 change specifications, the liklihood of an OD trans in a car fitted with
 a 3.7 diff is high.

 What you could provide (as an owner of a TR4 with OD) is the id no's
 found on the face of the speedo. Assuming that your car is as from
 factory and the speedo has never been replaced or swapped, that could
 offer a point of comparison to the original question.
 Cheers
 Don

OK - why then are gear ratios given for 3.7 diff's with OD in the TR4 driver's
handbook? I think that perhaps all TR2-4 with 4.1 diff's all had OD, to
increase top speed, while only some of the 3.7 diff's had OD. The part nos you
mention are related to diff ratio and say nothing of OD vs non OD.
I am about 99% sure my speedo is not original, so I can't definitively say.
And my car, though pretty much correct is far from being "as from the
factory". I will check it out tho'. I can't claim any firsthand knowledge as
the car is almost as old as I am. But I'll settle for some one kindly pointing
out to me the stone on which it is etched that "OD = 4.1 diff" ;-)

BTW anyone know of any easy (w/o the use of jacks and handtools) way to
determine whether a diff is 3.7 or 4.1?

Ken Nuelle