RE: TR4 Speedo, OD vs non-OD

To: TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Speedo, OD vs non-OD
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 22:04:27 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Dave Massey wrote:

> I always thought that the speedo's all were calibrated the same and the
> drive gear in the transmission was changed to accomodate the different rear
> axle ratios and wheel diameters.  The value 1000 turns per mile comes to
> mind.

That varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.  I the case of the TR4 and
most other Triumphs, the speedo drive gear is the same but the speedo
calibration is changed to match the diff ratio and the tire size.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net