Re: Wire Wheel Removal

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Removal
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 20:55:52 +0100
>On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Koehler wrote:
>
>> I cannot get one of the wire wheels off the splines.

Recipe: Take one wire wheel, place it on hub, overtighten and leave on for
years. Cook the old grease with brake heat and let the whole thing seize
solid.

You'll laugh at me for this but don't...until you've tried it. Find
something which will fit tightly over the wheel's centre, such as a bit of
old inner tube or an old radiator hose(big). Seal with a clip if necessary.
Then, fill the thing with non-diet, caffiene-included Coke (as in Coca
Cola). Administer for at least 24 hours and the wheel will probably come
free.

This may sound daft but I've removed Jaguar heads from hugely overgrown
studs using this method. I understand it's something to do with the acids in
Coke-I know the stuff goes straight through new paint. What it does to your
descending colon doesn't bear thinking about.

In the unlikely event of this failing, there is a more drastic method. Put
the spinner back on but only tighten it sufficiently to prevent the wheel
coming off. Then, drive the car somewhere bumpy until the hub gets noisy.
then, take it hoem very, very slowly and remove the wheel.

Good Luck,

Dave Hill, UK.