Re: Wire Wheel Removal

To: Koehler <koehlerb@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Removal
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 15:21:29 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Koehler wrote:

> I cannot get one of the wire wheels off the splines (retainer hub cap is
> off). I've tried WD40 and wiggling to no avail.
> I am not ready to torch a beautiful original stag wheel.
> Any suggestions?

If I read this correctly, it is a front wheel, right? I once had a
similar problem on a TR4 being parted out. What I ended up doing was to
unbolt and remove the caliper (not easy with everything in place, but
possible). Then I removed the large nut that holds the stub axle to the
vertical link. I was then able to remove wheel and tire WITH hub
assembly, albeit not without struggle.

Once the whole assembly was off, I braced up the wheel/tire/hub, found a
hardwood (firewood) log with about the same diameter as the wheel center
and spline, and I proceeded to bludgeon away with a heavy sledge hammer
on the wood. It broke free after several violent blows. All parts ended
up being undamaged and usable once cleaned up.

Realizing that the Stag front end is much different than that of a TR4,
I'm not sure how much of this method is applicable.

--Andy