Re: Parts suppliers

To: kjellaj@online.no, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Parts suppliers
From: Turner & Turner <turner@turner.se>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 17:09:50 +0200
Kjell-Arne,

As well as the big three you mention, there are a host of little guys,
particularly in the UK.

In my TR6 frame-off resto I've used Rimmers and Moss. All in all,
they're pretty good at getting orders right and, indeed, the
availability is pretty high. However, when you ring, you'll probably be
speaking to a counter salesman -- so don't expect omniscience (han
kommer inte att veta allt).

TRF is the other major, and occasionally the subject of flaming on this
list. However, they do seem genuinely enthusiastic.

The big guys, though, can't get some of the small stuff, which is where
this list comes in useful.

Other excellent sources include TR Improvements in South Woodford, UK,
about half a mile from my old school and where I first caught the TR
bug. Still in business, and still going strong. Tel: +44 181 505 3017

Cambridge Motorsport in the UK is another good source of tuning and
performance bits, particularly for TR4s.

Also try UK magazines Practical Classics, Classic and Sportscar and
Throroughbred and Classic Car, where the small ads are a great help.

But when it comes to the big guys, I have one piece of advice. Despite
promises of bulk order discounts, split your buying between them. These
cars are getting rarer, and eventually, the number of suppliers will
reduce. And the tighter the supply channel, the higher the price for us
owners. By spreading your orders out, you'll help maintain a
multiplicity of suppliers, which is good for us, and because it makes
them compete, good for them.

Good luck,

Adam Turner
'74 TR6