TR4 window regulator

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR4 window regulator
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 15:57:13 -0700 (PDT)
I've got the inner trim panels off the TR4 while I do welding nearby.
This shows the root of one of the problems I have with the window
regulator mechanism.

The center bolt appears to have pulled itself through the door frame.
(center bolt = aft of winder clockworks, on horizontal beam)  This is
apparently a common problem, as the LHS door has been welded in this area.

However, the LHS door has also broken its welds.  Is there anything I can
do to strengthen the metal?  It appears to be fatigued.  Should I weld it
back to sheetmetal, then JBweld a washer above to distribute the load?  I
surmise the bolt is flexing the sheetmetal, perhaps due to vibration at
speed.  Maybe the window glass tracks are too worn?

Such as it is, it's the passenger's problem... but in case I have to give
a ride to a "keeper" ;-), I want to make sure it's *relatively*
pleasant...

-Malcolm