Re: One Last Try

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "Janssen, Lee K" <lee.k.janssen@lmco.com>
Subject: Re: One Last Try
From: "DON BOYD, JOAN IKOMA" <dbji@whidbey.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 20:59:04 -0700
Lee;
        Sorry to take so long , but a lot of the answers were posted to the
general list in the week or to after my original post. There is just too
much typing at my 9 WPM typing crawl to answer everyone induvidually.
Anyway, the Vizard book you want is his 1989 book on tuning bmc A series
engines for vel stack data and carb porting. Use modified K&N stubby stacks
that you can change into elipsoids.
        The anti reversion is almost misleading . By intensionaly mismatching
the
port/header joint,you wind up with a antireversion port. You want the
mismatch on the top of the port! Don't bother elsewhere. 1/8 inch is about
right. Dont match your ports to the header unless the header is smaller(is
that even possiable on a TR?) If you enlarge your ex ports,(and you should)
 leave nice sharp edges at the header flange to discourage reverse pressure
waves.
         By changing springs and where the advance stops,(by brazing the stop
pad)
you can chang the rate of advance and total advance very easily. Most hot
cams want 10 deg BTDC initial, and the ending advance is dependant on many
things, but usally about 26 deg on a TR6 motor with US pump gas. You want
your vac advance, but you want it to be a throttle controlled, not manifold
vac controlled. I'm not sure what various years of TR's had, but early cars
were probably throttle controled. You can drill your carb for a port
otherwise
        Sorry for the poor spelling, but I'm dead tired.

.

don boyd