Playin' Chicken

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Playin' Chicken
From: "Kevin O'Driscoll" <ko3@columbia.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 13:13:29 -0400 (EDT)
You guys should try playing chicken with yellow cabs in New York City for
a few years... the pedestrians run to get out of the way... a crazy look
in your eye with a little engine reving and tire chirping helps too...
;-))  Recently Mayor Rudolph Guliani asked the NYPD to start enforcing
jaywalking.  It took three months, and a nearly caused a typical
unofficial police labor union ticket writing strike.  Eventually officers
started writing pedestrians jaywalking tickets, but only under the threat
of disciplinary action if they didn't.
 -Kevin

At 18:52 13/08/98 -0700, you wrote:

>...Vancouver ...I was also surprised by the aggressiveness of the
>pedestrians and their taking the right of way at intersections,
>where I had to wait several light changes to go straight with my
>green light.

It's not just the pedestrians. During rush-hour in Vancouver, if one
hesitates for an instant when the light turns green, the left-turners will
come storming through like a large motorcycle club out for a Sunday drive
-