Re: TR6 AM/FM Radio

To: Cliff Davies <ads.holzher@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: TR6 AM/FM Radio
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 21:34:36 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Cliff Davies wrote:

> I have an original am,fm radio for my '73 TR6 which I am going to
> put back in the car. I would like to use the radio along with an
> outboard cassette player,power booster and decent speakers so that
> I may be able to hear alittle ditty over 2 thousand rpm. Any suggestions
> on how to do this, short of calling in the Hydro company?

I built a "boom box" for the school bus some years ago.  Two 6x9 speakers,
in enclosures, that fit into a carrying case (chassis for an old Compaq
Portable XT).  The music came from a car stereo deck, powered by a 7.2V
R/C car battery pack.

I think a semi-portable system could be fastened on to the parcel shelf of
the TR6 without much bother.  You'd need a 12V lead (with a plug), and
some means of fastening it down (so it won't smack you in a crash) - then
it could be unfastened and put in the trunk when you're away from the car.

First order of business is to make a wish list- shop around, see what
speakers/amp/deck you like.  Personally I would use 5 or 6" round
speakers, a mediocre tape deck / CD head, and a graphic-equilizer-
amplifier.  You could probably assemble the whole works and carpet the
outside, etc for less than $150US.  Less than $75 if you can get used
components.

-Malcolm