General novice question

To: Spitfires <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>, Spit Enthusiast <spitfire-enthusiast@makelist.com>, Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, British Cars <british-cars@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: General novice question
From: "Victor B. Michael" <vmichael@tibco.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 23:09:32 -0500
This is really humbling...

I am sure this is a no-brainer for all of you.
What are the ignition timing marks on the block of my 77 Spit...
it looks roughly like this:

=============||===========
=======.=====||=========== pully with timing mark
/\/\/\/!\/\/\/\/\/\
|     TDC?        |
--------------------------
     engine block

What are the increments of these teeth and which is BTDC and which is
ATDC?

I've read on the lists various settings for the ignition timing. My
Haynes, Clymers and the sticker say 10 deg BTDC but I've read 2 deg
advancing to 10 deg ATDC? What's correct/ideal?

Thanks,

Vic
--
Victor Michael                     |           vmichael@tibco.com
Systems Engineer                   |         Voice (312) 214-2327