TR6 Rocker Cover Gasket

To: canada <canada@voyageronline.net>
Subject: TR6 Rocker Cover Gasket
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 12:42:07 +1000 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 13:38 16/08/98 -0000, you wrote:

>I bought a new rocker cover gasket from TRF (part # GEG413) to install
>after a valve adjustment on my '76 6.  When I try to fit it into the
>groove in the rocker cover, the gasket seems too large by about a quarter
>inch in both dimensions.  There doesn't seem to be any way to place it
>without it deflecting somewhere else.  Should I be placing it on the head
>first?  Should I cut it?  I only see one part # in the TRF catalog for
>rocker cover gaskets so I assume I have the right part.  Finally, what's
>the conventional wisdom on using Form-A-Gasket to hold a new cork gasket
>in place?

I have bought paper gaskets for my Dolomite Sprint cover that wer too long:
the holes would not quite overlap. I cut a 2-mm slot out of each side, and
used silicone gasket sealant.

(I once made a rubber gasket for this engine. I was able to re-use it 3
times before it started to leak, but the time required to make it was
greater than that to remove the sealant from the metal to replace an old
paper one.)

However, it would be a shame to cut a cork gasket, as I once found (on a
Mazda 808) that they could be re-used a few times before they leaked. You'd
better ask someone who knows your gasket if you can get away without
sealant. If not, I would use a silicone one; Form-A-Gasket is hell to remove.

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia