Follow up on the TR4 Water Pump

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Follow up on the TR4 Water Pump
From: Will Daehler <wdaehler@execpc.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 21:46:07 +1200
Cc: chansen@exis.net, TRHPK7195@aol.com, ronh1@flash.net, vafred@erols.com, emiller@europa.com, passaretti@sol.med.ge.com
Ok TR Listers and Fellow Digesters,

Here is the follow up to my posting from a couple of nights ago!

My dilemma was that I did not know how to correctly proceed. Even by
paying the gouge I might end up with an inferior solution.

I could buy the replacement Moss pump for $96 OR a buy a rebuild kit
from a supplier with a fairly tarnished rep for $45, OR get a second
hand pump from a donor car.  Issues at stake here are quality, cost and
concours. I was seeking the typically performed rebuild.

( If the list could spend five nights discussing a thermostat, I figured
why not a week on the water pump.)

I received four replies from the listers, and two more follow up letters
tonight wondering about the results.

Survey sez:

1.  British Parts North West  has the same new pump for $69. That just
$24 more than the whole rebuild kit.  (Cliff Hansen)

2.  Rebuild it for nominal cost using Ferguson Tractor dealer parts, and
the video tape is available. The advantage doing it this way is that you
retain the large impellor.  (Harold)

3.  Use a local water pump rebuild place who could easily have all the
seals needed, but make sure to use the specially thick 5/16 th washer to
preclude inadvertant diasassembly. (Ron Harrison TR3B)

4.  If the TR 4 is the same as the 3,  the after market types are from
Australia, they have no grease fitting which would be a concors concern.
The rebuild kits do not have the seals @ the rear impeller, or the water
slinger. Help is offered either way (Fred Thomas)

So as you can see, there are a few pearls of wisdom drifting in from our
world wide club.  You have to winnow and sift.

If you have any more facts or experiences, please hit that keyboard!