Re: TR4 Clutch Woes

To: Dennis Barr <tr357@cdsnet.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 Clutch Woes
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 01:49:39 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Dennis,

Have you checked your clutch master cylinder and the pipeline/hose for
leaks? Any leaks may decrease the motion of the slave sylinder.

Have you bled all the air out of the hydraulic system? Air compresses
where hydraulic fluid does not. That would decrease the stroke of the
slave cylinder, too.

Did you use an alignment tool resetting the driven plate on the
flywheel? Misaligment may cause some problems.

What condition is your clutch assembly in? Sounds like you may be
installing some new parts, but I wasn't sure from your post. Is there
any chance the clutch plate, pressure plate or cover plate could be
warped or distorted?

How about the clutch release assembly? Is there any play in that? Any
chance the fork that actuates the throwout bearing is turning on the
shaft? Or that the fork is incorrectly positioned on the throwout
bearing sleeve?

Those are the first things that come to mind. I hope this helps.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 #CT17602

--