Re: Buy a complete body or parts

To: "Ronald A. Dowty" <rdowty@wans.net>
Subject: Re: Buy a complete body or parts
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 20:10:29 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Ronald A. Dowty wrote:

> Ok. I have a complete rustmobile. There really isn't much that doesn't have
> a major piece of damage or rust, mostly rust. Which would be a better and/or
> cost effective approach. Order a complete body including doors and fenders
> from TRF for about $6300 or buy the parts piece by piece and put them
> together myself? Is there a place where I can buy a complete body cheaper
> than this? Has anyone done this? I am looking to build a strong daily driver
> that will last a long, long time.

I'm guessing you have a TR6, please advise if you don't...

IMHO if you have a rusty tub (esp. fender mounts, decklid (around gas tank
filler)) then it would be quicker and easier to get the new tub and work
from there.  I think the BMIHT tubs are sprayed with zinc primer after
tooling, so you have a good solid base to start with.

Buying a new tub will also save a lot of time- while our cars have bolt-on
fenders, the rust is not usually courteous enough to leave the tub alone
while it munches on the fender.  In my case, there was enough base metal
to connect new stuff to (plus, I don't have $600 to spare, let alone
$6000)- have you done any exploratory probing?  How is the frame?

-Malcolm
'62 TR4