Re: TR4 - Forward Exhaust Hanger

To: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 - Forward Exhaust Hanger
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 14:35:23 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Sat, 15 Aug 1998, Brian Sanborn wrote:

> Can one of you experienced guys answer an exhaust question??

Sure, I'm exhausted.

> QUESTION:  How does the stock hanger get installed.  I have the new one and
> it has a sort of long triangular shaped thick piece that is supposed to be
> attached to the frame or someplace... may be the transmission brace.  It has
> a big bolt welded on for mounting.  The PO must have discarded this to make
> room for the Monza pipes which clamp farther back after the X-member.   I
> can't see much until the pipes are cut away.

>From what I see, the forward pipe uses a rubber hanger that is welded onto
the frame below the transmission brace.  It is on the pass. side.  You
might be able to feel it if you stick you hand up in there (careful of
sharp edges & hot things!!)

On my car the pipe is "shrunk" a bit to go thru the X member.  I didn't
measure it but I think it goes from 1 1/2 to 1 1/4".

Page 16 of the Moss catalog (ed. TRI-05) has a picture of the hanger.
(Items 15 & 16).  These don't look exactly like the one on my car, but
mine may not be stock- the DPO paid a lot of money for a "custom"
(rip-off) exhaust.

(For chassis location, see p. 54-- exhaust hanger is just above the #62
circle on the TR4 frame)

I'd swop you my cast-iron manifold fer yor header, but I don't know what
cam I have in the car (and am not prepared to look-- no money for gaskets)
...plus I am running with a Datsun muffler which is plenty loud enough :-)

-Malcolm
'62 TR4 CT10339L