Re: Skirted thermostats

To: ARhodes@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: Skirted thermostats
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 15:48:18 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

> Art, I went to the local (but pretty good) parts place.  As I thought they
>  had NO IDEA that I was talking about when I talked about a skirted
>  thermostat.  I can go to a dealer and try for the skirted types.  Do you
>  have any idea which models of volve or VW used them?

Tony, sorry but those guys are not very good or maybe they're too young.  They
should at least know what the hell it is.  I'm on the phone right now with my
local parts guy.  I've asked him to pull just one thermostat for me (we had
five or six on the counter last year) and give me a part number.  Maybe you
could have them use that to show them what a "skirt" is.

Ok.  The fellow who worked with me last year is not in today but will be in
Monday.  I'll go over or call him then and see what I can get.  I really
regret tossing the parts numbers etc. for the 4 or 5 we looked at last year.
They were for Volvos and VW Golfs.

I think the answer to this problem is to look at some skirted thermostats from
other cars and compare them to the original TR ones.  I'll bet that one of
them will fit and is available cheaply.  The problem I had last year was that
although they looked OK there was no way to check the dimensions without an
original in hand.  My car is 800 miles away from here.

BTW- Volvo used many Brit parts in the '60's, '70's and '80's.  I know because
we used Volvo brake cylinders for an emergency repair on a TR4 several years
ago.

Art Kelly