GT6's in CT junkyard pt 2 (longish)

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: GT6's in CT junkyard pt 2 (longish)
From: Cwn74@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 21:46:36 EDT
Cc: bentley@mail2.nai.net (Edward De Cortin), amace@unix2.nysed.gov (Andrew Mace)
First, don't reply to me, I will be email deficient till the 24th, which is
too late!
Email Ed De Cortin at:
bentley@mail2.nai.net (Edward De Cortin)
Andy Mace is looking on also and may have some information.
Clark
-------------------
Here's a more complete picture:

A friend of mine, Ed De Cortin, was in search of some Fiesta parts and
happened by an automobile reclamation yard in the picturesque countryside of
Northwest Connecticut.  Low and behold in the vast landscape of twisted metal
he notices 3 aged British sportscars, somewhat familiar.  From his association
with sports car racing (he's Flag Chief of the New England Region, SCCA) he
contacted several people who may have interest and further knowledge as to
what they are.  I am one of those people and I have access to these email
lists.  So now you all come in.

Ed talked to the yard manager and asked that these 3 cars be spared from the
crusher (work in progress) for a week to see if he can drum up a better value
offer and get the parts into circulation.  That's what I'm trying to stir up.

In the beginning there were 3 cars, all GT6's I'm guessing.  Sometime after
the first visit, car #0 was crushed since the engine was no good and the
wrecker didn't appreciate that the fantastic California frame, bonnet,
suspension, interior and transmission may be of value to someone... Car
gone... Don't know any other details as to what it was...

That leaves cars #1 and #2.

#1 is a white GT6 Mk1, many good parts on a totally rusty body, floors gone,
rockers scally.  Don't think the car is restorable.  FRONT and rear bumpers
look REAL good from a slight distance, didn't want to climb up on top of the
rickety shed where it is perched to look closer.  This is the one with the
missing carbs and windshield.  Body NFG, frame may be useable, engine and rest
of drivetrain is there.  Car looks like it spent years outdoors in the back
yard (rust from bottom up). Lights and lenses there in front, bonnet may be
clean upable, has some missing paint and rusty areas, but looks straight in
the 1 photo I have (thought it was a roll of 36, not 24) (can't scan till the
24th).

#2 is a Green formerly turquoiseish GT6+, rubber donut rear axles car.
75616KD tag on body, KD75721E Engine.  Hit in right side, roof cut open to
extract driver, drivers door buckled, can't open.  Frame looks straight and
good.  Good Michelin (nothing special) rubber, wheels, hubcaps, FRONT
BUMPER!!, front valance, rear bumpers, rear signal lights, side marker lights,
headlights and trim, hatch, gas tank, partial quarter panels aren't bent,
bonnet good/useable but some previous crumple on left headlight area of
fender... Car was running when hit, nothing taken off since.  This is a good
car for good parts! 78,000 miles.  Even has an Amco battery box liner!

I'm willing to work on getting the cars to a safe location, such as Andy's
Museum in Averill Park, where we can further disect them.  But the trip is 100
miles roughly each way for a total 400 mile effort in that case.  If Ed has a
mmore local place, we can think of that.  I already have an interested party
in the GT6+ drivetrain to build a Spitfire6, but he's not decided yet (should
be by next week, right??).  That would leave car #1 and the trim, etc of #2
(which is substantial).

Again, feedback to Ed please.  If you want me, use my CWNicholls@aol.com
address, put GT6 in the subject... Otherwise it'll get burried in list
stuff...

Here's Ed's first connection/evaluation:
From:   bentley@mail2.nai.net (Edward De Cortin)

At 01:53 PM 8/6/98 -0400, you wrote:
>What was the deal of the Triumphs?  What were they?
>
>Bruce

Here's the deal.  The guy knows nothing about ABSC's, so....  The gray car
is history.  Was a GT6+ that didn't run.  The green car is a GT6+ that does
run.  It's hit HARD on right passenger compartment.  Front and rear axles
are there drum to drum.  Hatch looks usable and not bent, backlight seems
to be good.  Bonnet is usable with small repairs.  Some trim and rear
lights, not left tail, are there.  LeMans style filler cap appears to be in
good shape.  Roof is on the seats.  Front clip from box section that tapers
back toward cowl appears solid.  Engine has Strombeggers on it, NOT Webers.
 (I guess anything that's not a Holley or Rochester MUST be a Weber.  Like
I said, knows NOTHING about ABSC's.)  Trans is there.  Car came in two
weeks ago.  Was in road accident within last year and parked while waiting
for insurance company to settle, then junked.  No title, parts only.  Will
cost $400.00 dropped on your trailer.  The white car appears to be the
predecessor to the GT6+.  It's definitely Triumph, has a more upright
posture than the GT6 which in relative terms is "sleek".  There are no
obvious model designations anywhere and I'm not knowledgeable enough about
the cars to identify it.  It's a coupe, "fastback", chrome bumper front and
bumperettes rear.  Steel wheels with oval holes.  Large blister on hood,
probably 6 cylinder.  Single headlamp, with 2 "whitish" lamps below.
Painted grillwork which appears to be holes punched in sheet, not a fancy
piece.  Windscreen and carbs are sold.  Did not discuss price on this one,
but got the feeling $250.00-$300.00 would do it.  Any questions?

        Ed
Last, don't reply to me, I will be email deficient till the 24th, which is too