now: RE: thermostats

To: "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: now: RE: thermostats
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 20:51:04 -0400
Message text written by Pete Fullam
>When we went to Rockford we got into a concrete bog jam in Gary IN, also
over 90 deg. I did _not_ have the sleeved thermostat at the time and it
didn't overheat. So what's going on here? The rad is clean and original and
there's no mud in the coolant passages.<

Well, the skirted thermostat can ONLY work better than the non-skirted type
in
hot conditions (for the most part).  If the skirted one overheats, then
either there
is 1) indeed something else that has changed about the cooling system, or
2)
the skirted item causes more restriction of flow to the radiator than the
non-skirted
one.

Look at the size of the outflow valve in the two thermostats, is one
significantly
different?  If the non-skirted has a huge hole, it may allow more flow to
the radiator
despite the lack of a skirt.  One lister here, Brian Schlorff, has a ton of
experience
maintaining these things and reports to me that a high performance
(aftermarket)
thermostat for a chevy 350 seems to work just fine without bypass hose
blocking.

-Tony
ARhodes@compuserve.com