TR6 - Stuck heads

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, <rdowty@wans.net>
Subject: TR6 - Stuck heads
From: "Martin Gonzales" <mxgo@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 16:22:35 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Last month I had the same problem, I removed the head studs and then used
the rope trick.  In my case, the rear end of the head would not budge even
with the rope trick.  It appeared that in three of the rear studs (on the
manifold side) cylinder holes for the head studs had some rust and that was
what was causing the head to stick.  After using a lot of penetrant for
several days and hitting the studs lightly with a hammer, I was able to
remove the studs and get the head off.  I also inserted the flat of two
screw drivers on each of the the head at the mid point and hit the front of
the head with a rubber mallet and that did the job.  I, of course,  replaced
the studs.  The main point is to use the liquid penetrant for several days
on the studs, before attempting to remove the head.

Martin Gonzales
73 TR6
San Jose, CA