Re: tr6 slave cylinder

To: CCampb8169@aol.com
Subject: Re: tr6 slave cylinder
From: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@feist.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 08:49:05 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
CCampb8169@aol.com wrote:

> Hello,
>       After taking the body off my frame on my 71 tr6 I noticed a large spring
> attached to the pushrod on the slave cylinder. It goes under the mounting
> bracket and makes an unnatural bend to hook on the bleeder valve. I know it
> doesn't belong there but I am wondering why the former owner put it there.
> Does anybody know?
>   Cole

Interestingly, the Clymer books even show a photo of the slave with such a
spring
in place.  Whether original or not, many have done this to keep the release
bearing fork "withdrawn" enough to be sure the release bearing isn't constantly
riding on the clutch cover plate, thereby causing unecessary wear to the
bearing.

Martin Libhart
1972 TR6
1970 Spitfire