Re: HELP - A TR Owner Wannabe

To: CCruz@starbucks.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: HELP - A TR Owner Wannabe
From: cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil (Bruce T. Clough)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 08:16:57 -0400

> Good afternoon,
>
> This my first time out on the Triumphs Mailing List.  You guys are a
> wealth of information, so I thought I would put you to the test.  I can
> really use your help on two fronts.
>
> First, I am considering the purchase of my first Triumph, a 1960 TR3A in
> overall excellent shape.  Unfortunately for me the car is on the other
> side of the country forcing me to rely on the word of the dealer/broker
> and the photos he sent.  Has anyone had the experience of buying a car
> "sight-unseen"?  I would be very interested in learning more about your
> experience and any advise you can share.

Carlos,

Depends.  If it's only a $1500 restoration project you can probably ask enough
questions over the phone and look at photos.  If it`s a $15,000 restored beauty
you'd better spend the time and money to go look at it.  I've always looked at
cars I'm going to buy.  I have an aquaintance that bought a Buick long distance
by inserting a "right of refusal" clause in the contract.  If the car came and
it did not meet his expectations he could send it back.  Still seems to me that
if you're buying a $8000 car you could spend a couple of hundred bucks to see
it. Saves a LOT of grief in the end.

> Second, the TR 3A I'm considering does not have the convertible soft
> top, instead it has the tonneau cover.  Can anyone tell me how difficult
> (if at all possible) it would be to find and install one?  Or, can a
> hard top be easily adapted to the car?

Does it have the convertible top frame?  If so, tops can be purchased through
many retailers - your local car upholstery shop can get them.  If you've never
put on a TR3 top before I'd suggest that you let a shop do that also. The TR3
top requires careful installation to fit the frame and sidecurtains so that
they keep most of the water out.

Good Luck,

Bruce Clough