Re: Coolant leaks

To: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Subject: Re: Coolant leaks
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 23:29:27 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Joseph Sholtes <joeiv@concentric.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Allen Nugent wrote:

> Sorry to bomb this thread, but can anybody offer comments about radiator
> stop-leak? I have 2 reasons for asking:

My own unscientific observations/experience:

I've used, on several different occasions, the kind (I think it's called
Stop-Leak in the U.S.) that consists of a small tin of a silvery powder
poured into the radiator. It was often useful for stopping pinhole leaks
in a radiator core. Don't know what sort of effect it would have on a
weeping head gasket.

I also used, only once, some sort of thick liquid stuff (the
stop-the-leak equivalent of a "ring job in a can" type of snake-oil).
This in a Mayflower in a desperate attempt to stem a leak in the water
pump. Whatever that cr*p was almost totally destroyed the poor little
flathead engine! It plugged up most of the cooling system packages enough
to cause some very severe overheating. Strangely, the water pump
continued to leak, quite unaffected by the clogging in the rest of the
system.

There is also the old wives' tale (P.C. version: old spouse's [or perhaps
significant others'] tale) about ground up black pepper being useful as a
stop leak.

My $.02 (U.S.) worth....

--Andy