RE: TR-3 Antifreeze Mix

To: "KGeromini@aol.com" <KGeromini@aol.com>
Subject: RE: TR-3 Antifreeze Mix
From: gbuck@pinnaclegrp.com (Gordon Buck)
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 16:09:15 -0700
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Neither pure antifreeze nor pure water are effective antifreeze substances.
Only the mixture is effective.  The mixture of the two results in a "freezing
point depression".  A mixture of two substances will nearly always lower the
freezing point and raise the boiling point compared to either of the pure
substances (as I recall from first year chemistry).  I believe the optimum
mixture of antifreeze (ethylene glycol) and water (distilled water), which
results in the lowest freezing point and the highest boiling point is 60%
antifreeze and 40% water ( I may have those backwards).  Best to read the back
of the antifreeze container.  I think they probably know best.  As already
pointed out by others, make sure you only use distilled water.  Good luck.

Gordon Buck
Sultan, Washington
71 TR6  CC62806
67 MGB GT