O/D

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: O/D
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 12:53:54 -0700
Listers, snickering is allowed but no laughter. On the return trip from
TRF (265 mi.) the O/D in my 59 T/R 3 would somtimes disengage then
reengage, finally about a 100 miles from home no O/D at all. Took out the
interior yesterday and this morning @ 6:30 proceded to check it out after
all the manuals were read last night and 3 phone calls, did just as the
books said, unbolted the solenoid lever and went for a drive, @ 30 MPH I
pushed the lever forward and had a clunk like it engaged but the needle
stayed at 30, disengaged and thought I heard it do so but not sure. Go
back to my garage and check every wire and connection, one wire is maybe
a little a loose so I put a new connector on, raise the car on the lift
and take it to 30 MPH again and engage, clunk she goes in but the needle
stays the same, so what do I do, I go back and read the manual again and
make two phone calls, then start over again doing the same things for the
third time, when I get the car to 30 MPH and engage the O/D this time I
LOOK AT THE TACHOMETER INSTEAD OF THE ODOMETER AND IT WORKS. Seems all
that was wrong was the loose wire connection from the solenoid all along,
yes I know none of you have ever done this (and told)