SPIT 1500

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: SPIT 1500
From: autoxr@zebra.net (Erik Bjorkner)
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 09:13:28 -0500
I am having a blast with my new autocrosser toy, but it is leaking way too much
oil for me to feel safe about it.  It leaks off the trans tail shaft housing on
to the exhaust causing lots and lots of smoke.

I have tracked down the engine to the rear main crank seal and the rear end??

I want to replace the rear seal but was wondering if there are any "tricks"
such as can the trans come out with the engine, it is easier to remove the
trans and do the work with the engine "in" and if so how does the trans come
out?  I am intrigued on the removable trans cover... what is this for??

Is there any seals better than others??  I hate oil leaks!!

Now to the rear chunk.  Can these oil seals be replaced while the chunk is
still in or does it have to come out to press the u-joint flanges off?

The local crowd says "if it's BRITISH and it ain't leak'n then there ain't no
oil in it"  Well is this true??  Am I wasting my time to stop the leaks??  Hope
not.

Thanks to Bill for all the great info on leaks.  Hope yours gets fixed too.

Must say, it is an awesome car to run hard  :).... Makes me wonder why I had so
many overweight poor build quality Vettes!!

Thanks in advance,

Erik