TR3A resto-progress report #3

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3A resto-progress report #3
From: don pikovnik <donp@ncweb.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 22:45:56 -0400
List members:

I could have easily called this "lack of progress report #3" as more
pressing responsibilities take their toll on the available time.

I have a bare frame from the door pillars back. What remains is
engine/trans, and most of the front suspension. The last 2 nights I spent
removing the front shocks. I had much difficulty with the lower mount of
the shocks. The 4 nuts came right off but after 20 years, the bracket was
fairly well frozen on the four studs. I used a little mapp gas cylinder to
heat the bracket up and wedged a crowbar in to pry the bracket off. One
problem was getting it to pull evenly, the inboard two coming quicker than
the outboard two so I resorted to running the inboard nuts back onto the
studs as I pried the bracket. This allowed the outboards to come evenly
with the inbooards.

Next step is to remove the front springs for which I'll need a spring
compressor. Recommendations? After that comes the remainder of the front
suspension and steering box and linkage. Next will be the radiator then the
engine/trans.

I expect the car to be down to the bare frame within the next few weeks.
Some repairs to the frame will be necessary like a new cross member (the
"x" frame in the middle russted out) and I noticed a hole in the front of
the frame behind the rebound rubber bracket. I plan to check the dimensions
per the service manual and welcome advice from anyone who has done this.

Does anyone have any input on sandblasting the frame? ie., is it worth
hiring out the work and if so, what can I expect it to cost?

Don Pikovnik
what's left of TS59418L