Driveshaft woes solved on GT6+

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Driveshaft woes solved on GT6+
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 19:24:18 -0500
Yee Haa!

My GT6 has lost its' shakes!!!

Thanks largely in part to the thread on driveshaft balance (thanks Scott) I
dropped the best hundred bucks I could have on said driveshaft.

I took the spare in and had it balanced and new u joints installed.  They
said it was "pretty bad".  It appeared to have the original balance weights
on it and the joints seemed tight but hey, it's a b@#$h to do on a GT6 so
why cut corners.

The old shaft - with 10k miles on new joints I installed myself at
considerable effort - showed 2 loose joints.  I suspect it too is bent,
being an ex-race piece.

The car now passes 75 mph with no hint at all of vibrations.  What a
transformation!

For those interested, a tip.  A wheel balance problem shows up at a given
speed and  disappears once past another speed, depending on severity of
problem.  A driveshaft imbalance shoes up and never goes away, and may get
worse.  I am wondering if the bad driveshaft knocked out the u joints I put
in.

Next time you do the drivesahft, save the aggro. and have your generalist
machine shop do the work and get the balancing done too.  It makes a world
of a difference.

Dave Terrick
69 GT6+
Winnipeg