Re: Proper lube for transmission

To: "Kenyon, Kirby T" <kenyonkt@maple.lemoyne.edu>
Subject: Re: Proper lube for transmission
From: "M. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 10:46:55 -0400
Cc: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Kenyon, Kirby T wrote:

> I'm a proud new owner of an 80 Spitfire (last Friday) with over 200K
> miles.
>
> The previous owner was using the same oil in the transmission (4 Speed
> with Overdrive) that he used in the engine (Castrol 20W50).  All the books
> seem to indicate something more like 90W for the trans.  Does anybody have
> any ideas as to why the lighter oil and the implications of using it?

I sure don't, but maybe somebody does.  80-90W gear lube is the only
thing I would recommend for the tranny and diff.  You could put it in
the engine too if you don't live in the Arctic Circle and/or you like to
have really high oil pressure even while driving through Lubbock, Texas
this month.

I'm kidding ... KIDDING ..

--
Martin Secrest