Re: aftermarket electric fuel pump for TR6

To: "Janssen, Lee K" <lee.k.janssen@lmco.com>
Subject: Re: aftermarket electric fuel pump for TR6
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 09:42:40 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: "'Lang, Robert M. (TR6)'" <blang@MIT.EDU>, "'triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

--Boundary (ID e08MXIBLPV6eAu6uZq+aow)

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Janssen, Lee K wrote:

> Where did you mount your aftermarket electric fuel pump on your TR6?

I actually mounted mine on the _body_ directly above the left rear
armstrong schock absorber. The plumbing was relatively simple - but I
made sure that it is protected enough such that the lines cannot get hit
while the car is moving. Ironically, mounting the pump that I used, a
Facet "solid state" unit, fit exactly in the location as described. And,
the Facet requires that you mount it at an agle due to its having a check
valve or something.... the surface that I mounted to is part of the floor
for the spare tire - the vertical front section of the spare tire well.

> I was thinking of mounting the pump on the frame immediately above and
> inboard of the left hand rear shock. This places the pump directly below the
> fuel tank and will require only a minimum amount of plumbing work.

Yes. Don't mount you pump in the trunk, er boot, unless you have a fire
system and unless you have metal between you and the boot. I'm a little
paranoid about fuel-fed fires - had a car burn up once (not due to fuel
problems incidentally) and a car interior burns pretty well w/o an
accelerant such as gasoline... and fast.

> In
> addition to replacing the 25 year old rubber hoses with 5/16" brass
> compression fittings, I also plan to reroute the fuel line under the engine
> along the frame cross member to avoid running it all the way around the
> head.

Keep it away from the exhaust system. Cool fuel supposedly burns better.
That's why "cool cans" are not allowed in some racing divinsions.

And don't run _any fuel line_ below the bottom of the frame rails. Out in
Wisconsin, I hit a dead Raccoon (and not on purpose either, I was
daydreaming and when I saw it, it was too late to manuever around it) ...
my car leaped enough from the ground to unload the engine briefly. Had I
any fuel lines running below the frame, they would have ripped off.

A random event - could have had a fuelish conclusion.

> Any comments or suggestions?

How about that Clinton Guy - oh, you mean about fuel systems.

One last comment. I'm running the lowest pressure Facet pump - supposedly
1 -4 pounds of pressure. I _finally_ got around to installing a fuel
pressure gauge under the hood. The jury is not out, but it looks like
that pump is only producing 1.5 pounds in my installation. I need to
check the filters for obstructions, but I think 1.5 pounds is a little
low so this weekend I'm going to replace the filters and test things. If
the filters are not blocked, I'll be replacing that pump with a Facet
that does a bit more - I think the next one up is 4 - 11. And I'll
install a regulator too. I think the Webers want more like 3 psi for
racing. This could explain some "flat spots" that I'm seeing with my
current setup under acceleration. Note: 1.5 psi should be okay for low
speed cruising and the occasional flooring of the accelerator, but for
extended wide-open-throttle, I think I need more pressure. The key is
whether the pressure goes down as a result of excessive fuel flow.

I'll report to the list.

I need to dyno this thing...

> Thanks much
> lee janssen

rml
TR6's
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |

--Boundary (ID e08MXIBLPV6eAu6uZq+aow)--