questions #3, #4, #5, #7 & #8

To: "Amatruda, Andy" <aamatruda@email.mc.ti.com>
Subject: questions #3, #4, #5, #7 & #8
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 00:20:38 -0700
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
3. I dropped a line to Justin asking him the same thing. He told me
"no". It won't work with cast aluminum covers which are flat on the
bottom, and vary in width. It is designed to fit the stock cover only.

4. I am planning to follow Kas Kastner's competition prep manual pretty
closely in rebuilding my TR4 engine. Some of the head work has already
been completed. With  .125 milled and  the "D" camshaft (I don't plan to
use the other, full race cams, I like the power range of "D" 3500-5500
rpm. I haven't seen the specs on the cam you mention, but as an
autocross cam, it may kick in even lower.). Actually, everything in the
prep manual is pretty mild compared to some engines today. In addition
to Kastner's recommendations, I will be installing slightly oversized
valves if I can locate them and valve guides compatible with unleaded
fuel. I also am using Weber 40DCOE's, so will be using a mechanical
advance distributer (probably Mallory). Finally,  I see TSI offers
roller rockers, I plan to check them out, too. I've wanted to try out a
set for years. We'll see.

5. I would be interested to hear from someone who is using the rear main
seal upgrade kit too. I was thinking about installing it, but it
requires machining the crank a bit and there's no going back! I'm sure
it uses a common type of seal, but....

7. I had my cylinders bored 86 mm + .20 some years ago in the last
rebuild without removing them from the block, no problem. I was
considering boring out to accomodate 87 mm pistons. Any thoughts from
the group?

8. I removed and replaced the cam in that last rebuild without any
special tool. Had the shop that bored the liners line-bored the cam,
too.

I will be working with a top quality shop to do a lot of the machine
work, head work, porting and polishing. I want to be sure this stuff is
done by someone who has done it hundreds of times!

Good luck!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 #CT17602