Re: TR Fender rust

To: fergie@ntplx.net
Subject: Re: TR Fender rust
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 15:25:04 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sat, 1 Aug 1998 fergie@ntplx.net wrote:

> Is it possible to repair the upper rear fenders on a TR4 - they look a
> lot like Swiss cheese (deck too, but one thing at a time)? Would I be
> better off replacing them (yes, both) with new fenders that don't fit;
> trying to form sheet metal to the original contours and welding; or the
> bondo approach? Seems to me bondo wouldn't work if the lip where the
> bolt holes are is also gone (it is). What do most people do? Thanks.

I think it's possible.  I'm certainly going to try (might do some more on
it today)

When I bought my sheet-o-metal, the quickest way to get it inside the Ugly
Chevette was to fold it.  The curve made by folding is pretty close to the
curve on the upper fender.  I intent to hack away the old stuff down to
the "trim line" and weld on the curved bit- then weld on the part with the
mounting holes.

With oxy-gas, welding corners is really easy- often you don't even need
filler rod.  If you go with Bondo, I will curse you forever.  That's what
the body shop did with mine and I've had to carve it all away to get to
"real" metal.

-Malcolm

(I will be taking pictures of my method and posting them web-like in a few
weeks)