brake pressure differential valve

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: brake pressure differential valve
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 11:00:25 +1000 (EST)
Dear Listers,

Before I get my hopes up too high about finally fixing my rear brakes, can
anyone dispell my apprehension about the brake pressure differential valve
(PDV)?

I recall that my rear brakes have always been extremely difficult to bleed,
and I'm concerned that the PDV is the culprit.

Does an open bleed nipple allow the pressure in the rear circuit to drop low
enough for the PDV to shut it off?

Or, if not by design, could a malfunctioning PDV do this?

If so, would there be merit in trying to bleed the fronts and rears
_simultaneously_, to try to keep the PDV centred? (I can see spending a
small fortune on Castrol DOT4 this way!)

Thanks in anticipation.

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia