fitting a "J" type OD

To: Kenneth Brown <kbrown@trmx3.dot.ca.gov>, TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: fitting a "J" type OD
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 14:42:31 -0400
Kenneth Brown  writes:

>How hard is it to fit a "J" type OD in one of the older style TR6/TR250s
>frames? Any recommendations on what needs to be done and how?
>
>TIA
>Ken
>TR 250

Been there, done that.

The main problem with this conversion is that the J-Type O/D
has the overdrive mechanicals in the same region as the rear
mounts.  Consequently the O/D is too wide to fit between the
mounting brackets.  Also there is nothing to attach the J-Type
mounts to because the J-Type mounts further back.  I
accomplished this by cutting away a part of the original
mounting brackets on the frame and fabricating a custom mount
to mate up with what's left.  It worked well enough but I have
since then replaced the frame with a 73 version which has the
proper mountings.  (I replaced the frame for other reasons, not
just to resolve the overdrive issue.)

I would suggest you order up a copy of Len Renkenberger's
home grown technical manual "Six Tech" as he has a chapter about
this very thing.  His approach is different than mine but he had
access to equipment that I didn't have and has a different skill
set as well.

Good luck

Dave Massey

P.S. I have had good luck with my J-Type overdrive over these
past 8 - 9 years since I put it in.  I'm Happy with it.