Re: 79 spit electrical issues

To: "Richard Bonilla" <rbonilla@holly.colostate.edu>
Subject: Re: 79 spit electrical issues
From: "Sumner Weisman" <sweisman@gis.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 18:20:49 -0400
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Hi Richard,

I do know a little about electrical issues.  But -- I don't know much about
Spits since I'm a TR-3 owner.

You have an alternator, I believe.  I suppose all cars probably did by 79.
If not, I'm sure to be quickly corrected by the List.  My car was built in
62, and has a generator.  The difference is that an alternator puts out AC
and a generator puts out DC.  So -- you have an AC (alternating current)
system and I have a DC (direct current) system.  I just wanted to clarify
the issue, this has nothing to do with your problem.

I'm not sure what your problem is, but it may not be electrical.  It may be
that your thermostat is staying shut until the engine gets very hot, then
opening.  As you are rev-ving the engine to 5k or so, which is what you
were doing at the time,  the fan is providing more cooling air and might
bring the temp down to normal.  The reason I say "might" is the higher
rpm's might also cause the engine to get hotter.  It may be that you need a
new thermostat, because this one is staying closed too long.  That's the
only thing I can think of.  Again, I don't know about Spits.

Good Luck.  I'll be glad to help further if I can.

Sumner Weisman
62 TR-3B