Synthetic oil

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Synthetic oil
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 21:49:35 +0100
Hi, guys

A few months ago, there was a thread on synthetic engine oil and I remember
putting in my two cents worth about using it in LBC 'lumps.' My opinions
then about preferring Castrol GTX haven't changed - but I'm still very open
minded about its suitability in modern engines.
A month ago, I handed on the Suzuki jeep I'd been driving to my younger son
and invested in an outstanding used car, under two years old, low miles,
with an impeccable service history and in tip top all round. I want to keep
it that way and it now looks as though I'm likely to be clocking up rather
a lot of miles on motorways. To keep up with the traffic and not be a
hazard to everyone else is going to mean running over the speed limit
(well, not too much) but this means my little (1.4) engine is going to be
running around 4000 plus for prolonged periods, so everything should get
nice and hot.
Does anyone do a similar sort of thing and run on synthetics? I'd
appreciate input about fuel consumption, oil consumption, how long you go
between changes, how dirty it gets (if at all), whether you run it longer
than mineral etc etc. No feedback will be too much and it'll all go into
the decision making pot. This stuff costs a wad in UK - about 40 bucks for
4 litres (just under a gallon) and frankly I don't want to pay that price
if synthetic is just another overpriced 'buzz' product. If it really does
make significant contributions to reducing wear and all the other spiel I
read on sales blurb, I might try it out. Mobil 1 looks as though it might
be the choice but are there others better than / worse than?
Finally, is it necessary to flush out the engine first before putting in
the new stuff?
Ta muchly

John Mac

"Life at Triumph" in print - unique pictures and lots more. See info at
http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/triumphbook
ORDER LINE STAYS OPEN UNTIL SEPTEMBER 30, 1998.
Order points are with:
The Author:                                       jonmac@ndirect.co.uk
British Columbia Triumph Registry:     michael_bayrock@bctransit.com
Triumph 2000 2500 2.5PI Register:      t2000@compuserve.com
Triumph Sports Six Club:                   bernard@tssc-hq.demon.co.uk
Vintage Triumph Register:                  HUMMERHJ@state.mi.us
The book will NOT be available from shops - only from the Author and Agents

http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/plates
Give your Triumph "The Coventry Look"